Saturday 7 September 2013

The Photographer as a Story Teller

I prefer to think of myself as a story teller rather than a photographer, I am looking to try and create work of true substance.

The people that I choose to work with don't have any dreams of being shot on a beach, they have no aspirations of being in  FMH or Ralph. I have very little interest in shooting the same people as everyone else, cookie cutter images of the same girls

in the same poses drive me insane. I like real people. People that don't do this for a profession, or for money.I look for people
with complex personalities, who can bring depth to a conversation and conversely to one of my images.

Inspiration for me comes from weird places, from music, from movies. I love the visual, I love dirty motels, Chris Isaak's haunting lyrics, I love the bizarre and the freaky, I love David Lynch movies, Bridget Bardot speaking in french, Stella Stevens

lighting one of Buddy Love's cigarettes, I swear in a previous life I was living in a colourful Carnival traveling the world to display our talents and rip off the locals before moving on to the next town. I love vintage, underwear, sensuality and sexuality, I love to find people that can portray that, it opens up my mind, my soul, and often my pants.

I love to find a connection with people, I mainly live an introverted life by myself, I am disconnected a lot of the time from reality, so to be bought back by finding a true connection with someone inspires me no end, and I have been known to have gone with that connection and shot from anywhere from 9 hours straight to 2 years, it IS what I live for. Truly.


 

No comments:

Post a Comment